22nd March 2020
Further to Caravan and Motorhome Club close of all UK Sites, Cherry Cottage CL temporary closure will be extended until 30th June 2020.
If you have a booking between the 30th April and 30th June, I will contact you by email over the next few days. I would urge you not to phone or email and wait for contact from me.
Please bear with me as I have a lot of visitors to contact and will have to balance this will my day job in a school looking after vulnerable and key worker children, whilst my husband is busy feeding the nation at Waitrose.
Take care everyone, stay safe at home.
Closure of all UK Caravan and Motorhome Club Sites
Published 22 March 2020
To help ensure Government advice on social distancing is followed the Club will be closing its UK sites network today - Sunday 22 March 2020.
This will include the Certificated Locations network. We are in the process of advising all CLs to this effect.
All UK sites and CLs will remain closed until 30 June 2020.
The safety and wellbeing of our members, local communities, guests and staff is of paramount importance to us and we feel this move supports the recommendations issued by the Government.
If you are currently on one of our sites, please contact the site staff who will advise you on how and when you need to leave the site. Please ensure you maintain social distancing at all times, in line with Government guidelines.
If you have an imminent booking please do not travel to site. We will issue updates on a regular basis so please check our website. We will be in contact with members who have imminent bookings.
We thank you for your patience and support during these challenging times.
Stay safe and well.
14th March 2020
Important information for guests with bookings and arrival dates from 15th March until 30th April.
I appreciate a number of you will be concerned regarding the Covid-19 virus. While I of course have no more idea than anyone else how this pandemic will play out, to help protect you, along with my family and my local community, I have reached a very difficult decision to cancel all holiday bookings with arrival dates from 15th March until 30th April.
This decision has not been taken lightly and breaks my heart as I am so passionate about my CL and ensuring all guests have a relaxing break. I appreciate you will be disappointed but at the present time my family is facing an unrelated challenging time and I need to provide support.
I apologise but all bookings during the period 15th March to 30th April are cancelled. Booking for future dates will be reviewed in light of the ever evolving situation and further updates will be communicated via email to those guests with bookings, on facebook and here on the website.
I would love to welcome you to Cherry Cottage CL in the future, when you can enjoy your stay and explore the beautiful area with out worry. I will therefore be delighted to hold/transfer your deposit to a future booking (within 12 months). However, I do understand if you would like a refund.
Given the volume of cancellations, these may take up to 14 days for me to process, and in view of my current family situation please bear with me regarding return calls/replying to emails etc.
I appreciate that while some guests will be disappointed others will be relieved, I sincerely apologise for this upset during unprecedented circumstances faced around the world.
Thank you in anticipation of your understanding and support.
Please stay stay everyone.